Flat designFlat design has significantly grown its presence and diversity this year, both in interface design and branding. The design approach is known for its minimalist and concise use of visual expressive means and has established itself as a style favorable for enhancing usability and visual harmony of user interfaces. The most prominent feature which actually has inspired the name of this direction is applying flat 2-dimensional visual details as the opposite to highly realistic and detailed skeuomorphic images. The features of flat design supporting its steady popularity in interface design include:
- simplicity of shapes and elements
- bold and highly readable typography
- clear and strict visual hierarchy
- close attention to details
- thoughtful appliance of bright colors and contrast supporting quick visual perception
- avoiding textures, gradients and complex forms
- applying the principles of grids, geometric approach and visual balance.