What is page 404?Technically, 404 or Not Found is the error message in HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) response code which is sent in case a user got successfully connected with the server, still for some reason couldn't get the content that was requested. When it happens, for example in situations if users try to follow the link which has been deleted, dead or broken, the website server forms and sends the 404 webpage informing the user that the content cannot be found. Certainly, the page can have a very simple and basic appearance with just a line of copy saying that "nothing can be found here". However, the vast majority of websites prefer to apply the customized 404 webpage. And that really could be described as user-friendly policy, also successfully supporting website or brand promotion. Correctly designed and stylish webpage, which is shown to everyone who got a mistake in the link, is able to not only inform users but also navigate them, entertain or just give a moment of an aesthetic pleasure.
What does the page 404 include?Among widely used layout elements on page 404, we could mention:
- error message
- brand signs (logo, brand name, brand mascot etc.)
- navigation elements (links, buttons, menus, search fields)
- decorative elements (illustrations, photos, animation)
- a set of links or a menu providing the user with the variety of routes instead of only the home page, right from this point
- fixed header enabling a user to get to the key areas of the website instantly
- a search field, via which the user can request the needed content without getting back to the home page
- a collection of recommended posts, which could possibly draw the user's interest
- the advertising element or link.